It’s time for another Fantasy Wednesday. Are you excited to find out what the top 5 of new releases is according to Goodreads for the month of June? Let’s dive right in! Other new releases of June 2018 can be found by genre right here on Goodreads.
- Brief Cases by Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files #15.1)
Publication date: June 5th, 2018
A new collection of previously published Dresden Files stories, including an ORIGINAL Dresden Files novella from the #1 New York Times bestselling author. Return to Chicago with a brand-new Dresden Files novella, plus other reader favorites featuring Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and his friends, as they solve supernatural mysteries, protect the helpless, and fight evil:
* “Curses,” from THE NAKED CITY, edited by Ellen Datlow
* “AAAA Wizardry,” from the Dresden Files RPG
* “Even Hand,” from DARK AND STORMY KNIGHTS, edited by P. N. Elrod
* “B is for Bigfoot,” from UNDER MY HAT: TALES FROM THE CAULDRON, edited by Jonathan Strahan. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT
* “I was a Teenage Bigfoot,” from BLOOD LITE 3: AFTERTASTE, edited by Kevin J. Anderson. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT.
* “Bigfoot on Campus,” from HEX APPEAL, edited by P. N. Elrod. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT.
* “Bombshells,” from DANGEROUS WOMEN, edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois
* “Jury Duty,” from UNBOUND, edited by Shawn Speakman
* “Cold Case,” from SHADOWED SOULS, edited by Jim Butcher and Kerrie Hughes
* “Day One,” from UNFETTERED II, edited by Shawn Speakman
* “A Fistful of Warlocks,” from STRAIGHT OUTTA TOMBSTONE, edited by David Boop
* “Zoo Day” – brand-new novella, original to this collection
- Starless by Jacqueline Carey
Publication date: June 12th, 2018
Let your mind be like the eye of the hawk… Destined from birth to serve as protector of the princess Zariya, Khai is trained in the arts of killing and stealth by a warrior sect in the deep desert; yet there is one profound truth that has been withheld from him. In the court of the Sun-Blessed, Khai must learn to navigate deadly intrigue and his own conflicted identity… but in the far reaches of the western seas, the dark god Miasmus is rising, intent on nothing less than wholesale destruction. If Khai is to keep his soul’s twin Zariya alive, their only hope lies with an unlikely crew of prophecy-seekers on a journey that will take them farther beneath the starless skies than anyone can imagine.
- The Mermaid by Christina Henry
Publication date: June 19th, 2018
Once there was a mermaid who longed to know of more than her ocean home and her people. One day a fisherman trapped her in his net but couldn’t bear to keep her. But his eyes were lonely and caught her more surely than the net, and so she evoked a magic that allowed her to walk upon the shore. The mermaid, Amelia, became his wife, and they lived on a cliff above the ocean for ever so many years, until one day the fisherman rowed out to sea and did not return. P. T. Barnum was looking for marvellous attractions for his American Museum, and he’d heard a rumour of a mermaid who lived on a cliff by the sea. He wanted to make his fortune, and an attraction like Amelia was just the ticket. Amelia agreed to play the mermaid for Barnum, and she believes she can leave any time she likes. But Barnum has never given up a money-making scheme in his life, and he’s determined to hold on to his mermaid.
- Iron and Magic by Ilona Andrews (The Iron Covenant #1)
Publication date: June 26th, 2018
Hugh d’Ambray, Preceptor of the Iron Dogs, Warlord of the Builder of Towers, served only one man. Now his immortal, nearly omnipotent master has cast him aside. Hugh is a shadow of the warrior he was, but when he learns that the Iron Dogs, soldiers who would follow him anywhere, are being hunted down and murdered, he must make a choice: to fade away or to be the leader he was born to be. Hugh knows he must carve a new place for himself and his people, but they have no money, no shelter, and no food, and the necromancers are coming. Fast. Elara Harper is a creature who should not exist. Her enemies call her Abomination; her people call her White Lady. Tasked with their protection, she’s trapped between the magical heavyweights about to collide and plunge the state of Kentucky into a war that humans have no power to stop. Desperate to shield her people and their simple way of life, she would accept help from the devil himself—and Hugh d’Ambray might qualify. Hugh needs a base, Elara needs soldiers. Both are infamous for betraying their allies, so how can they create a believable alliance to meet the challenge of their enemies? As the prophet says: “It is better to marry than to burn.” Hugh and Elara may do both.
- Low Chicago by George R.R. Martin (Wild Cards #25)
Publication date: June 12th, 2018In George R. R. Martin’s latest Wild Cards adventure, a gang of criminals are scattered across time and threaten the stability of the world. Perfect for current fans and new readers alike, Low Chicago is an all-new time travel adventure that leads to the criminal underworld of 1920s Chicago, featuring a fresh cast of characters from the Wild Cards universe. Edited by #1 New York Times bestselling author George R. R. Martin, Low Chicago features the writing talents of Saladin Ahmed, Paul Cornell, Marko Kloos, John Jos. Miller, Mary Anne Mohanraj, Kevin Andrew Murphy, Christopher Rowe, and Melinda M. Snodgrass.