OK wow, so this is a hard quiz! Bookstr wants to test your knowledge of wise old wizards in this quiz! They want to know if you can figure out who said it, Dumbledore in Harry Potter or Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings. And don’t try imagining it in the actor’s voice either, because they are played by the same guy! So are you ready?
- “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
- “After all, to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”
- “It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not.”
- “Courage will now be your best defense against the storm that is at hand – that and such hope as I bring.”
- “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.”
- “It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.”
- “That though we may come from different places, and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one.”
- “But the only measure that he knows is desire for power and so he judges all hearts.”
- “We should seek a final end of this menace, even if we do not hope to make one.”
- “I often talk aloud to myself. I find it extraordinarily useful.”
- “There never was much hope. Just a fool’s hope.”
- “The board is set. The pieces are moving.”
- “Power was my weakness and my temptation.”
- “Our enemy is almost ready, his full strength is gathered.”
- “We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
- “There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am.”
- “Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.”
There were a few quotes that I could place instantly, down to the scene and circumstance in which they were said. There were a number of quotes that were pure guesses. But the most difficult one was number 13. Because both Gandalf and Dumbledore had their weak moments, where they were tempted by power and had to fight through. Dumbledore struggled when he was young – back when he was friends with Grindelwald and they dreamed of a better world together. He finally had to confront and defeat Grindelwald to put an end to his temptation – which he had been dodging for a long time. And Gandalf also struggled with the power that dark magic could give him. He wanted to save everybody and didn’t know how to put a stop to Sauron. He eventually came through it, defeated his former mentor and became Gandalf the White because of it.
I liked this quiz! Not easy at all, and I loved looking back at both franchises. How will you do?