The second movie in my Marvel summer challenge is Captain Marvel, released in 2019 and actually one of the more recent MCU movies that I haven’t seen before. I’m excited, also since it is a superhero I never heard of before this movie! It is the first Marvel superhero film led by a female superhero and it stars Brie Larson as the titular character.
The movie starts on the capital planet of the Kree Empire, where we meet Vers, our main character. She doesn’t have many memories of her past and is suffering from nightmares but trying to fight through it. She gets sent out on a mission to rescue a fellow Kree warrior that went undercover, but she gets captured by their enemies, the Skrull. They probe her memories, which leads them to earth, looking for a scientist that developed a light-speed engine. When she escapes from the Skrull and lands on earth, she attracts the attention of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents Nick Fury and Phil Coulson. They spend the rest of the movie looking for the engine, figuring out where Vers came from (which happens to be Earth) and how the Skrull and Kree are involved in it all. And that’s all I’ll say, because I don’t want to spoil the movie.
A little bit of background
As said in the introduction, this was the first female-led superhero film by Marvel and development began back in 2013. In 2016, Brie Larson was cast and shooting began in January 2018. The movie premiered just over a year later, on February 27th, 2019 and was released in cinemas on March 8th. It had a very successful theatrical release and became the fifth-highest-grossing film of 2019 with over $ 1.1 billion worldwide.
What surprised me
- This movie does not start with the typical Marvel logo featuring several of their comic books that are being flipped through, instead it starts with a dedication to the late, great Stan Lee who died during the making of this movie. He appears posthumously as himself in the bus, memorising his lines for his cameo in Mallrats.
- I thought Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury) and Clark Gregg (Agent Coulson) looked really good! Since the movie was filmed quite recently but is taking place years before some of the other movies they star in, the stars were digitally de-aged in post-production to fit the timing.
- Did you know that a sequel is in the works? For the moment, we don’t know much yet. Captain Marvel 2 is scheduled for 2022 and the only confirmed cast member is Brie Larson up to now. In August 2020, the director Nia DaCosta was confirmed and it was shared that the movie would take place in present day.
- The animal star of the movie, the orange tabby named Chewie, was actually played by four different cats: Reggie, Archie, Rizzo and Gonzo. Something you always wanted to know, right? You’re welcome!
- This movie has two scenes during/after the credits! In the middle of the credits, there’s a short clip referencing Avengers: Endgame. And then in the actual post-credits scenes, we see Chewie the cat throwing up the Tessearct on Fury’s desk.